DomestiKated {101}



With all those pieces flying around in our lives it's fun to unwind and embrace your creative self! Craft ideas, tutorials, helpful hints, tips tricks and maybe even a recipe or two will be here for you, tickled pink to tantalize your creativity!

Wife*Military-Spouse*Mom*Full-time-student*Domestic-goddess*Martha-Stewart-I'm-Coming-for-you!

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

DIY Neon Statement Necklace



I've used my time off from school wisely as of late and indulged in some of my favorite activities: cooking and crafting....and surfing Pinterest.  I ADORE two new trends I've seen floating around the old interwebs: neon and statement necklaces.  SO I've concocted some creatively cute and bright statement pieces to set off any outfit.   
BEHOLD: Neon Statement Necklaces!

I've been pondering this craft for quite some time and I had the opportunity to bring my idea to fruition through my local MOPS group for our end of the year craft.  ALL of the moms adored the various color choices of ribbon and flowers.  I used pearls here, but you can use any kind of long style necklaces like chains or beads to create your own personal statement to display proudly along your neckline.  
Best part? The embellishments are interchangeable! The options are endless here people so let's get your creative-y-ness on!

Oh did I mention each necklace only costs about $3???  SWEET!

You will need:

- 3/4-inch Ribbon (ribbed or satin)
- 1 yard Bead or chain style necklace
- Bows or flowers 
- Alligator clips 
- Scissors
- Hot Glue
- Measuring tape
- Lighter
___________________________________________________

1. Embellishment:  Simply hot-glue the top of the alligator clip to the back of the embellishment: set aside. I needed to make these in bulk so I found these three-pack of flowers from the scrap-book section of the craft store: brilliant! You can also check out the hair-bow section and find a variety of flower and bow clips already done!




2. Beads: If you can't find a long string of inexpensive beads/chain, check out the wedding section like I did and grab a pack of pearl garland.  Each pack makes 8 strands when you cut them at 1 yard each. The ribbon section also has some awesome chain options!

*If making your own chain/strand, cut to one yard and hot glue two beads together (see below). Let dry completely and set aside.


3. Ribbon: Choose your ribbon color, cut two individual yards.  At ribbon end, cut to desired shape (see below) and quickly run the lighter over the end.  This melts the ends and prevents fraying. 



 4. Put it together! Fold the pearls in half.  On each side loop your ribbon through the pearls to connect them together (photo A).  Then tie a loop knot towards the top of the ribbon (photo B).  This keeps everything in place, and tying the knot high hides it at the back of your neck when worn. 

Photo A
Photo B
5. Embellish! Simply clip on your bow/flower/brooch/whatever to one side and Viola! 


Above you'll see the pearls and flower one, but also a chain one I made using a string of chain from the ribbon department and a small hair-bow: ALL INTERCHANGEABLE!  Have girls? Swap your embellishments out with your girl's hair-bows! THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!!

I even had one friend make a red white and blue one (white pearls, red ribbon and blue flower) to show her patriotism, how versatile! 

Each necklace costs about $3-$5 depending on the materials you use!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment